Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kids These Days - Hard Times EP





When asked what genre of music is my favorite, I always seem to respond- "hip-hop". But in reality, if I made a list of my favorite tracks it would be an eclectic mix of genres. I love music, and I don't discriminate against any genre. So when I first heard Kids These Days I was incredibly impressed with the range of musical influences in their songs.

There's Lane Beckstrom with the bass, guitar and vocals by Liam Cunningham, Greg Landfair on the drums, Vic Mensa as the MC, Rajiv Orozco with the saxophone, J.P. Floyd bringing the trombone, Nico Segal on the trumpet and Macie Stewart as vocalist. Together, the eight members of the Chicago-based group make jazzy/bluesy/funky/soulful hip-hop music.

I was further impressed when I heard that the members of the group are all barely legal. Some are students at performing arts schools, while others are still in high school. Needless to say, the members of Kids These Days have a long and bright future that is being catapulted with the release of Hard Times on June 28th. Their appearance at SXSW, as well as a mention on Jay-Z's Life+Times blog, has generated a lot of excitement around the band. Like many others out there I am looking forward to hearing the EP, but for now you'll catch me listening to Summerscent, Darling, and My Days. I'll leave you with this final quote about the band from a journalist who roomed with the group during SXSW...
"therein lies a future bursting at the seams with unfettered talent paired with an unrequited love for music felt by every member"

No comments:

Post a Comment